Monday, March 21, 2011

Chapter 4

Disclaimer: I don't own Twilight

Chapter 4

Seven years ago
Bella
The next day I sat under the oak tree during lunch not wanting to create a new hassle. I had my basic apple and coke for lunch and a drawing pad with me which mom had bought me some years ago. Music lesson was the same Edward and I didn’t speak and after class I hurried to gym. I didn’t want to get on the bad side of the gym teacher before I started to fall down in every sport related activity.



“Sorry I wasn’t here yesterday class. I had an unexpected appointment in Seattle.” our gym teacher Mr. Clive said. Doesn’t Forks have a female gym teacher? Is this even legal?

The coach gave me a uniform and ordered me to change. We did fifty push-ups before we played basketball. Let me say I’m a little scared ¾ okay maybe not a little but a lot. I’m sure the coach and me will be great buds (as he had his eyes on me most of the lesson and not in the perverted kind of way. I could see steam coming out of his ears every time I fell down). If you cant hear the sarcasm in my voice you have to get your ears checked ASAP.

Yes I called him coach as he ordered us to, he doesn’t like to be called teacher or Mr. Clive. Poor girl had to do twenty push-ups on top of the fifty the whole class had to do, when she made the mistake of calling him teacher. I think he is seriously mistaken of what class he is teaching ¾ this is not football practice.

The whole lesson I questioned if I was in the wrong class. This is some sick boot camp shit. Do I have to say how many injuries I inflicted on myself and others while playing the dangerous game of basketball. Lets just say I wasn’t able to count the number of injuries on myself with both of my hand and when you add the ones on others my number was high. The class ended with another fifty push-ups and running back and forth the gym hall until we reach like ten miles or something. The whole hour the coach was shouting at me to go harder, faster… If gym is always like this I’ll die before the end of the school year.

When the coach finally dismissed class I could barely stand up. Every muscle in my body was aching, my head pounding and I could see the bruises appearing all over my legs. Well any skirt Rose plans to dress me in is out of the picture. I crawled my way to the girls’ locker rooms and sat on the bench catching my breath. I sat there for hours leaning on the locker, hoping for death to come and save me from my misery.

I opened our house door. I finally made my way home ¾ I don’t know how, but this is a miracle.  I drag myself upstairs to my bedroom and laid down on my bed.

I stretched my hand to pull my phone out of my bag. Charlie was due home any minute and as I was in no condition to cook and the cupboards were empty, I ordered a pizza. I lay in bed thinking of yesterday.


          
I got home from school ready to cook, learning Charlie’s diet isn’t very variable. It consists of beer, coffee, eggs and frozen fish from his weekly fishing trips. Luckily I found some pasta in a cupboard and some tomato sauce which expiration date was next week.

After doing a little happy dance, cause today wasn’t a day I wanted to go grocery shopping, I started on the tomato sauce. Putting in some diced onion and herbs and later adding some spices just like nonna taught me. Charlie came home and we ate in a relaxing silence having some small talk between bites.

“This is good Bella, even better than what your mother made. I remember pasta and tomato sauce was the only eatable thing she could cook. It’s your grandma Rozalia’s recipe?” he said. I nodded.

Half way through he asked me about school and friends in which I lacked of words to say. I don’t make friends easily, rather being alone with a book. He told me to try harder that the kids around here were nice. When the friend conversation was over the relaxing dining silence continued.

My phone rang as I was piling dishes in the sink.

“Go and answer. It might be your mom or sister. I’ll was the dishes. You know how they are. Next they’ll be calling the Forks PD and filing a missing person report and after that if they only remember they call me”

“I can wash them later.” I said as I ran up to answer my phone.

“Rose!” I answered in a hurry, answering before she hang up.

“Bella mia nipote I’m hurt.” my uncle’s raspy voice said.

Zio Aro!” I said in a joyful voice, happy that he called.

“That’s the answer I want. Let me guess, waiting for a call from Rosalie. Tua sorella più importante di me?”    

“She said she’d calls after lunch and no I love you both.” I really thought it would be Rose calling about the latest car model or telling me about the hot guy in her engineering class.

“Okay, I’m sure you thought I was Rosalie updating you on the newest car parts.”

“Yeah you know how she is and because Jasper usually hangs up on her she calls me knowing I won’t leave her hanging, talking on the phone by herself like he does.” Rosalie always bitches about Jazz’ telephone manners. She’s at her worst after just being hang up on.

“You’re too kind Bella. You should toughen up my dear. So how is it living with your father? Are you liking the weather? What about friends, any good enough guys for my favorite niece?”

“UNCLE! It’s ok, Charlie and me get along fine. I can’t say the same about the weather though. It rains all the time. And don’t let Rose hear you call me that.”

“Rosalie knows you’re the principessa of the family.”

I continued not acknowledging his previous comment, “I miss my Vespa but with all the rain…” I missed the beautiful shimmering midnight blue paintjob and the soft coal black leather of my Vespa.

“And on the boys no comment. You know I don’t talk about those things not even with Rose.” I have not once had a romantic relationship with a boy. My family thinks I’m weird or as Rose and Aro like to say I have the ASSM, the Anti Sessuale Sollecitare Malattia (or in English the ASUD, the Anti Sexual Urge Disease). According to Rose everyone lacking on sexual urges are suffering of the ASSM.

“I know, just wanted to know if the rains of Washington have enlightened you. You can never know. So you‘re sure there isn’t anyone.”

“Is there a meaning for this call or is it only to annoy me?” I said, as we needed a subject change.

“Don’t worry it wasn’t just for pleasure. I was calling to inform you of your sister’s and my plans on visiting you in a week or so.” they would be coming here – to Forks. God how I already missed my sister. She knew how to make anything fun and interesting.

My phone chimed indicating another call.

“That’s great, hey I got to go. I’ve got another call, I think it’s Rose. But I’ll call you later.” I hung-up knowing not to keep my sister waiting. I knew Aro understood my quick goodbye.

“What took you so long?” my impatient sister asked when I answered her call.

“I was on the phone with Aro.” I heard a huff from the other end of the line.

“I wanted to tell you about our trip. I told him. He did it on purpose just to get a rise up in me.” Rose and uncle Aro were so alike both competitive at nature both stubborn and annoying. They would have these competitions and bets going on for days, without anyone’s knowledge.

“So what did you do at school today, meet any cute boys?” you see, she and uncle are totally the same with both being too nosey for their own good. They can never keep out of other people’s business.

“No, I didn’t.” I lied not wanting to hear the 101 on safe sex, if she found out about me even talking to a boy that would be the first conversation.

“You’re lying.” she stated. Did I mention she’s a human lie detector?

“Just remember to wrap in up.”  

“Maybe it was your outfit. What did you wear?” she asked thinking everything depended on your clothing.

“The blue blouse you bought me and the faded Diesel jeans.”

“Bella… you can’t ruin that shirt with jeans. Were was the skirt I bought you along with the blouse?” she almost wined. Our debate went on like this for a while, she blaming different elements of my recent outfit. I did everything wrong according to her.

I wanted to be comfortable on my first day, wanted to be me, no one else, just me. Pimping up myself to look like an over dressed Bratz doll didn’t fit my nature. I was a shirt, jean and Chucks kind of gal. I didn’t have anyone to impress as Rosalie said, so why would I spend hours and hours in front of a mirror in the mornings only to feel uncomfortable the hole day.

“Rose I need you to bring my copy of Romeo and Juliet when you come.”

”What happened to the one nonno gave you?”
”Let’s just say… there was a accident at school and it not fit for reading anymore.”   
“Really. Yeah, sure I’ll bring you the copy? You won’t let anyone touch it at home. Who was it? What’s his name?” Everything has to do with a boy but she was right about the book though I never let mom, Jasper or her touch my book. And then on my first day of school it’s ripped right in front of me. Has this something to do with karma or something?

“Really Bella. You tell me nothing. Don’t worry I’ll make sure I meet him on my visit. You can count on that,” she stated but it felt more like a threat. Now their visit wasn’t so good news. She would humiliate me completely and if she didn’t accomplish it uncle Aro would.

“Ok, Bella call me tomorrow and tell me everything about this boy. Understood? Bye.”

Addio bischera.”


“Bella you ordered pizza?” Charlie shouted from the entrance hall.

“Yeah!” I answered as I came down the stairs.

“There any beer?”

“There’s some in the fridge.”

We settled down in the living room watching football on TV, eating pizza, Charlie drinking his beer and me drinking my coke.

“Have a good day at school?”

“Yeah it was okay. Nothing special.”


The rest of the week continued in the same manner. Nothing happened so it meant no drama. In just mere days I had become the invisible girl which was just the opposite of my first school day, no one noticed me or thought I was worthy of a glance – Edward Cullen was one of these people, we never talked after that one time but I didn’t care, I think.

It was better this way.



Translations: 
mia nipote – my niece
Zio – uncle
Tua sorella più importante di me – your sister more important than me
principessa – princess
nonno – grandfather
addio bischera – bye jerk / stupid person



No comments:

Post a Comment