Sunday, March 13, 2011

Chapter 3

Disclaimer: I don't own Twilight
Chapter 3

Seven years ago
Bella
Music was held in a tiny cottage looking house behind the school. As I entered the room, most of the students in class went silent. Entering a quiet room is a thing I hate because it often means the spotlight is on you. I walked towards the teacher’s desk were a Mr. Lynn sat according to his nameplate. I introduced myself as Bella the new kid and he asked, “What instrument would you like to play?”



“I don’t know, what is available?” I didn’t want to make more enemies by stealing someone’s instrument.

“Why don’t you take the piano as talented Mr. Cullen is opposed to playing. You can play in turns. You know the basics don’t you?” and I nodded.

This should be nice, sharing with the boy from the lunchroom, who I had recognized as Edward Cullen, won’t be easy as he obviously couldn’t share.

At least I knew piano so I wouldn’t make a fool of myself. Mom had taught me how to play. I wasn’t the best but not the worst either. Mom used to be a piano teacher until she got pregnant with Rosalie and Jasper. After that, she hoped to continue again but no babysitter could handle twins quite like Rose and Jazz. Let me tell you they might have been little and cuddly but they were huge troublemakers, so she became a stay at home mom.

She really never had to work, as her parents were highly respected in the Italian mafia; nonno Armando Sergio Valentini had been a good friend of a mafia Lord and sometimes worked with him. Nonna says it’s the reason that got him killed. The Valentini family has always had money but mom never wants to use it, knowing somebody has most likely died for it.

I could see the beautiful boy sitting at the piano at the window.  I walked slowly to him and sat on the edge of the long piano bench. He tried to say something but was interrupted by our teacher.

“Mr. Cullen can play first so Ms. Swan can hear how it’s supposed to go.” The boy turned to the keys and started to play along with the other instruments. It was a simple song not hard at all. I caught the notes easily. When it was my turn I played the song without any problems. And that’s how the lesson went on with no talking at all between the boy and me.

Mr. Lynn declared the end of the lesson and students packed their bags and left the class heading for fifth period. But the two of us sat at the long piano bench motionless. I waited for him to leave so I could stay and practice on the piano before class but he didn’t move.

“Aren’t you going out?” I asked.

“Aren’t you?” he challenged

“No.”

“Well neither am I.” well that’s just perfect. Does he have to be so annoying.

“I wanted to stay and practice.” I said trying to hint that I wanted my privacy but he didn’t leave.

“I’ll stay and listen.” he said.

“I rather not and I thought you didn’t like the piano, even though you play it so well. Did your mother make you take lessons as a child, was the child piano prodigy made fun of... Why do you hate the beautiful instrument?” I said running my fingers on the shiny ivory keys as I admired the elegant piano.

“Or maybe you fell of the piano stool, scaring you for life.” I said coming up with more reasons.

“You’re wrong. I don’t hate it.” he only said.

“Okay?” he’s clearly a man of few words.

“You’re nothing like I thought you would be.”

“I usually aren’t. What did you think I would be? A brainless, snobby fashion model from Italy. Whit my Prada bag in hand.” why does everyone thing Italy is full of models with AQ lower than a goldfish. Ok, I know uncle Aro has a radar for these floozy empty-headed young woman but it’s not like that’s even a third of Italy’s female population.

“Something like that.” he confessed. 

“I’m gonna be late from gym.” I worried aloud not really having a single worried bone in my body. I felt comfortable sitting next to him.

“No you won’t. The coach is away today, all sport lessons are canceled.” he said next to me not seeming to be in a hurry at all. The comfy silence surrounded us. For the second time today I felt I could hear my thought. It was so peaceful just like in my small newly found heaven under the oak tree.

“I’d like to apologize for the way I treated you today. I shouldn’t have done that. My mother taught me better than that. I’ll buy you a new one, I promise.” he said in one quick breath like it had been bottling up until it burst out.

“I don’t need a new one. I have another copy.” it was half true. I had a copy in English, even if I had one in Italian it could never replace the one destroyed. The original book had had nonna Rozalia’s markings as she had been a high school language teacher – it had been a lot of help last year when I had to write a book report on Shakespeare’s Rome and Juliet.

“I’m sorry. I could see it was important to you. It’s common courtesy I get you a new one.”

“Really it’s no big deal. Can we just drop it.” I didn’t want to dwell on the lost, there was nothing I could do.

“Lets start over. I’m Bella and you are…?” he looked at my outstretched had for a while before shaking it.

I really wanted to get to know this boy, but why? Was it because of the ease I felt in his presence, the deep forest green eyes that I couldn’t stop staring at when he looked at me or just his crooked smile I could see twitching on his lips from time to time when I said something stupid or laughed. One thing I knew, this was not normal. I always felt nervous in such close proximity with strangers.

“Edward.” he introduced himself.

“So tell me Edward, aren’t you late for class?” I asked, knowing class had started ten minutes ago.

“Mrs. Martendez doesn’t check absences, besides I’m better in Spanish than she is.”

“A little over confident there, aren’t we.” I teased him. I could see that damned twitch of a smile making its appearance.

Not wanting to hear one of his cocky replies, I asked him an other question.

“Now that we are acquainted, tell me you favorite color.” he laughed as if there was something funny with one of the simplest questions ever.

“What?” I asked hoping there wasn’t something on my face.

“Nothing.” he said shaking his head as he chuckled. His beautiful rosy lips were graced by that crooked smile, which I had come to love in the small amount of time. I looked at him expectantly waiting for an answer. He finally calmed down and answer.

“Blue, my favorite color is blue. Your’s?”

“I don’t know it changes by day.”

“And today it is…?” he said trying to get an answer, and I though he thought it was a stupid question.

“Today it’s blue.” I pointed to my blue shirt. “I usually dress according to the color of the day. Tomorrow it’ll probably be red or black as I own a lot of black.”

“Interesting.” I looked at him waiting for something that made sense.

We talked about our favorites in the calming atmosphere. I found out we had the same love for classical music and the crazy love for french fries dipped into a strawberry milkshake – and Rose said it was abnormal and that I’d never find someone else who loved it as much as me. “Bell that’s nasty she would always saw.” – Ha, proved her wrong.

The last school bell rang, signaling me it was time to go home, call Rosalie and do the chores of the evening.

“Uhm… I have to go. I’ve got loads of things to do. I have to cook dinner, call Rose, do homework…” I rambled. We looked at each other for a overly long minute. He waiting for me to leave and I for any signs of a goodbye. Guess we’re not on as good terms as I thought.
“Okay, bye.” I finally said walking out of the music room into the schoolyard. Youngsters were rapidly walking to the parking lot. I followed the line of fleeing students to my musty old beat up truck wishing I still had my Vespa but it wouldn’t mash well in my new hometown.

joaisis

Edward is a troubled teenage boy who is lost. He doesn't know what to think about Bella.
I think this story will be all Bella POV and let's see how it goes might write it in EPOV later, so you might get to see what Edward is thinking. 







No comments:

Post a Comment