Sunday, March 13, 2011

Chapter 2

Disclaimer: I don't own Twilight
Chapter 2

Seven years ago
Bella
Not wanting to be late on my first day, I ran to the rusty old truck, which Charlie had accommodated from his old fishing buddy on the rez. My first day at school was like the showing of King Kong; people stared and looked but were too afraid to approach. Only a couple of people came to talk to me thinking it would lift their status in the school hierarchy.



There was this one boy Eric who offered me help in English thinking I didn’t speak fluent English as I was from Europe. I told him straight forward that I could probable speak and write in English ten times better and wasn’t in need of any tutoring. The rest of the day, I heard rumors about the girl from Italy who knew English. Wow ¾  what a shocker.

Then there was this girl named Jessica who only wanted to get higher on her ladder. We talked about gibberish; our classes, the cool kids which she informed – that the Cullen siblings were the leaders of the group and supposedly one of them was a big player. We also talked about clothes, were I only complimented her outfit even thought it looked slutty to me; with the bright colors, shortness of her skirt and the big amount of cleavage that was showing. She invited me to sit with her and her friends but I declined, rather sitting alone. (Her friends were supposed to be almost as cool as the Cullen siblings’ group. She said they were great friends.)

The bell rang indicating it was time for lunch. I took my unnecessary books to my looker which was decorated with family pictures of our vacation in Spain last summer and then headed to the lunchroom were all my peers sat talking and eating. From the sparse selection, I chose an apple and a coke. There was only one empty table at the far end of the lunchroom. I walked my way to the only unoccupied table. People around me becoming quiet as if I was doing something forbidden. I could hear some people whispering “What is she doing” and some gasps. Everyone had gone silent when I sat at the vacant table.

I took out my Italian version paperback of Romeo and Juliette, reading it quietly to myself in the heavy silence. After reading a handful of pages, my lunch was swept from under my nose with quick pale hands and book ripped out of my grip. I looked up, facing the most beautiful boy ever (and let me tell you, I have seen many good-looking guys living in Italy). Behind him, there was a big posse of boys and girls ready to see what he would do next.

This must have been the one and only Edward Cullen, seen as the king of Forks High as everyone had their attention towards us. He wore a smug smile looking at me in the eye until he lifted my book for me to see and ripped it in half. My lunch was nothing, I wouldn’t have cared about it but destroying my beloved old book given to me by my nonno Armano on my ninth birthday one year before he died.








Isabella il mio angelo scende. Ho qualcosa da dare voi.”
Che nono?!” I screamed in my happy voice as I descended the stairs at my grandparents castle.
I ran to my grandpa’s study trying to guess what he wanted to show me, hearing my mom telling me not to run indoors on my way and dad telling her to let me be. What would nonno want to show me? He and grandma already gave me new glittering ballerina shoes and beautiful gown for my birthday. Maybe he wants help with something. I knocked on the heavy Mpingo blackwood door and entered without a reply.
“Isabella you know the quote La vita è breve. Dovreste serbare in cuore ogni momento. – Life is short. You should cherish every moment,” he said as he handed me an impeccably wrapped box. I nodded a smile gracing my face and took the box. I had heard nonno say that same quote a million times.
I unwrap the present and squeal at it’s content and run to my grandfather to give him a big hug.
“Isabella calm down, I want to give you something else.” he fishes a paperback book from his desk drawer and hands it to me. I hold the book like it’s the most fragile thing I’ve ever held in my hands.
Romeo e Giulietta
“I thought it’s was time for you to read a big girl book.”
“Life is short Isabella, life is short, remember that my little angel.” 



Sei matto?
È stato dato a me da mio nonno.
Come ti permitti?!” I ranted in my Italian. He looked at me dumbfounded for a moment not expecting my outburst.

“You’ve got a tiger in you kitten, I like it. You would do great in bed.” he had his overconfident face on again and his posse was shouting catcalls encouraging him.

“But I don’t like anyone sitting at my table.”

Uno imbecille, un fottuto cazzo.” Destroying my book because I was sitting at the cool table. Doesn’t he know how to ask me to move or share? Ok, sharing I can do but moving so he and his posse can raid a table I was first, would not do not – after he ripped my book.

"Chi la fa l'aspetti." I muttered to my self. People were looking at me waiting for a translation but none came. Not wanting to create more commotion I fled the scene picking up my coke, leaving all the nosey bystanders and the beautiful boy behind me.

The moist air felt refreshing on my skin. I never knew the out doors could feel so serene. I could see no one. Standing there trying to figure out what to do until my next class I saw a giant oak tree and walked towards it. As there was nothing else to do, I sat on the ground under the tree, closing my eyes and leaning my head against the rough tree trunk. This was my newfound heaven. Taking out the last page of my math book, I started to doodle.

But nothing perfect lasts forever. My peaceful world was disturbed by the sound of the bell and the students emerging from the lunchroom. I stood up and hurried to music class.

Translations:

nonno – grandfather
Isabella il mio angelo scende. Ho qualcosa da dare voi – Isabella my angel come down. I have something to give to you.
Che nonno? what grandpa?
Sei matto? – are you crazy?
È stato dato a me da mio nonno – it was given to me by my grandfather
Come ti permitti?! – how dare you
uno imbecille, un fottuto cazzo an imbecile, a fucking dick
Chi la fa l'aspetti." – Idiomatic translation: "What goes around, comes around."
                               Translation: "He who wrongs someone has to expect something in retaliation."


No comments:

Post a Comment